Veto London Meet – Booze and spaceship nerds
Last weekend saw my first entrance into a real-life EVE event – the EVE Veto London meet, to be precise.
I wasn’t entirely sure who was going – I knew a few old mates from RvB were showing, as well as Azual Skoll, Kaeda Maxwell and Seismic Stan – all names I actually recognized. The rest remained a mystery. I took the train all the way down from Newcastle, arriving into London at about 1pm. I then proceeded to get completely lost, causing taunting texts from Mangala and Calistai whilst Siuil actually sent me directions.
It was fortunate I did, since I eventually managed to find the bar where us spaceship nerds were supposed to meet. A good 40+ were already here, but fortunately I ran straight into Siuil, followed shortly by Mangala and Calistai, who promptly called me “about 12”. Gits.
A wave of RvB’ers arrived, including Combat Mink and a bunch of random EVE guys and about this point it all ran together, so here’s my highlights:
- Siuil managing to fall over, into a table.
- Chatting with a couple of guys from the Black Rebel Rifter Club – they even brought along a replacement for Kaeda, since Kaeda was ill and couldn’t show
- Arguing with DJWiggles over local changes (he didn’t get the joke when I yelled “fix local” at CCP Unifex, apparently…
- Giving (bad) advice to to Cheradenine of Diaries of a Space Noob alongside Azual of EVE Altruist. He had a shirt with his blog on it.
- The Magician Guy who won a beer off CCP Soundwave via card-tricks.
- The CCP Devs announcing the name of the new expansion; EVE Online Retribution, including the new Bounty System!
- The Goonswarm member who said “matematemate” to be at the bar.
- Cali showing his oddly placed tattoo to everyone in the pub.
- I only met Seismic Stan briefly, and Penny (of TigerEars) showed to the meet but never actually met me!
Want pictures? Of course you do.
10/10 would go to a spaceship meet again. I think I ended up back in my hotel room at 2am.